We've gathered the key points and highlights from Apple's latest iOS 16.4 rlease just for you.
iOS & iPadOS 16.4 RC Release Notes
The iOS & iPadOS 16.4 SDK provides support to develop apps for iPhone and iPad running iOS & iPadOS 16.4 RC. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 14.3 RC, available from the Mac App Store. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 14.3 RC, see Xcode 14.3 RC Release Notes.
Backup and Restore
Watch migration might fail when restoring a backup to a new phone. (105416351)
Workaround: Unpair the watch from the source phone, then pair it to the destination phone.
Beta enrollment for iPhone and iPad
Beginning with iOS & iPadOS 16.4 beta, members of the Apple Developer Program will see a new option to enable developer betas directly from Software Update in Settings. This new option will be automatically enabled on devices already enrolled in the program that update to the latest beta release. Your iPhone or iPad must be signed in with the same Apple ID you used to enroll in the Apple Developer Program to see this option in Settings. In future iOS and iPadOS releases, this new setting will be the way to enable developer betas and configuration profiles will no longer grant access. (101692915)
Core ML Model Deployment is being deprecated. Consider using Background Assets or
NSURLSession instead. (102993813)
CTCarrier, a deprecated API, returns static values for apps that are built with the iOS 16.4 SDK or later. (76283818)
Hang Detection stays enabled after rebooting. (105618983)
Both manual and automatic Software Update support is now available for Matter Accessories. (102727759)
- The iOS device that initiates the pairing needs to be on the same iCloud account with the home hub. Only the owner of a home, not an invited user, can pair Matter accessories. (76012945)
- You might receive an error when pairing a Matter accessory using the 11 digit setup code. (101554366)
Workaround: Pair the accessory using the QR code instead.
- When a manual software update is attempted on a Matter accessory with an available update, Home might not indicate that the update has been requested and continue to indicate an update is available. (104902918)
- Workaround: Check the Software Update pane in Home Settings at a later time, as the update might be taking place in the background.
- The software update screen for Matter accessories might display the incorrect version number while an update is in progress. (105031569)
Right after pairing, an available firmware update is not offered in the Home app. (105757029)
- Workaround: Reboot all residents.
- When there are multiple of the same accessory type updating to the same firmware or if there are back-to-back firmware versions for one accessory (during an incremental update), the new firmware update might not be offered. (105787380)
- Workaround: Reboot all residents or unpair the accessory and re-pair by clicking the “More options…” link to pair the accessory from there.
- Software updates for Matter accessories might be offered again, even though the update already completed successfully. (106073031)
- Workaround: Restart your HomePod and Apple TV devices.
- Filesystem APIs such as NSFileManager might trigger materialization of dataless files and/or directory structures in iCloud Drive, leading to hangs or performance problems for the calling application. (105009536)
- Workaround: Avoid calling anything which performs I/O on the main thread. Adopt
UICollectionViewDataSourcePrefetchingand load cells asynchronously. I/O should be wrapped under
Technomancer is a science and tech enthusiast who enjoys writing about software and AI and other tech topics.